Voluntary Prekindergarten or VPK gives children a jump start by preparing them for school and enhancing their pre-reading, pre-math, language and social skills. By developing the skills children need to become strong readers and students at an early age, children are more likely to be successful in school. VPK classrooms offer high-quality programs that include high literacy standards, developmentally appropriate curricula, and qualified teachers.
Benefits of early education and the VPK program
- The most important growth and development in the brain happens by the age of five.
- A child’s ability to be attentive and to follow directions emerges in the early years. Structured early learning fosters these abilities for later success in school and in life.
- Pre-K prepares children to be ready for school. Children who participate in high-quality early childhood education programs develop better language skills, score higher in school-readiness tests and have better social skills once they enter school.
- Pre-K enhances what a child learns at home and instills a love of life-long learning.
VPK at the Margaux Early Childhood School at Temple Judea
- VPK is part of a full-day experience loaded with learning and opportunities for discovery and joy.
- The VPK program occurs from 8:45-12:30 on 144 school days during the year for a total of 540 hours.
- VPK teachers have received training in literacy and language development, hold a DCF teaching credential, and are loving, nurturing caregivers.
- The Margaux Early Childhood School at Temple Judea uses The Creative Curriculum for Preschool in our prekindergarten classes.
- Individual development is tracked throughout the year using Teaching Strategies GOLD.
- Twice during the school year, the classroom teacher conducts a formal assessment of each child. This is done in a relaxed and comfortable environment.
- Enrichment opportunities include music and movement, as well as optional programs during and after the school day (soccer, Spanish, cooking, ballet, and more)
“The state approved curriculum for VPK schools is specifically designed to meet pre-k performance standards. This is important to me so that my kids are ready when they enter Kindergarten in the public or private school system.~ Parent of a Margaux Early Childhood School graduate
To apply to the Margaux Early Childhood School for the VPK program, please download an application. Applications should be brought to the Education Office or scanned and returned by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.